Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Non-Resolutions 2013

I stopped making New Year's Resolutions a few years ago. I started making non-resolutions. Very simply stated: things I was not going to do in the New Year. Easier for me to keep in many ways as not doing something was/is easier for me. So this year I will NOT:

  • Stay in the house writing all week long, socialized only by FB and Twitter
  • Talk myself out of a trip I really want to take. No rationalizations allowed.
  • Wait for friends to call me. It's a very bad habit.
  • Be unauthentic with anyone; not you, my other friends, or especially myself, even if I'm terrified.
  • Put another writing project away. I may jump from one to another and back again but I will not put them away. The back burner is NOT away; it's just the back burner.
  • Write less than 1000 words per day.
  • Wait more than 72 hours after completing a project to start quering agents. I'd set the limit lower but why query on a weekend? I could be wrong.
  • Go one day, even holidays without writing. Mission started: Yes, I was writing on Christmas day.
  • Take every piece of writing advice as carved in stone gospel. What I've decided to do is full of risk; time to take some. It doesn't mean I won't listen: that would be extremely silly.

  • Those should be enough for this year We'll have to revisit them at the end of 2013 and see how things went, yes? Have any non-resolutions of your own?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Go ahead--- list your website. I'd love to visit.